Skip to main content

American Divisibility

By Kael the Sapiocrat

I dare say that every US citizen, at least once in their lives, recited the all-American Pledge of Allegiance. It was the morning ritual when I was growing up. At the start of the day, we would all stand next to our desks in the classroom while the school principal would lead us in the patriotic recital over the intercom. We would stand straight up with a proud stance and right hands covering our hearts. We did this not because it was the patriotic thing to do, but because it was simply the daily habit. Many of us didn't even know what we were pledging for or to. All we knew was that if we didn't do it, we'd get written up and sent to the vice-principal's office.

Incentive enough, right?

All these years later, I'm still stuck on the real meaning of one word in particular:

"...under God, indivisible..."

Interesting.

After consulting the dictionary (Webster, of course), I've discovered that indivisible simply means "incapable of being divided, separated, or broken." What did the author of the pledge mean by indivisible? Learned scholars may argue that since it was written just 27 years after the end of the Civil War, maybe placing that word in the pledge signified the commitment to ensuring that a division between the North and South would never happen again. I can buy that. Geographic
divisions are a pain to deal with. Just ask your nearest interstate commerce lawyer.

But what if that's not what Mr. Bellamy meant? What if he believed in the grand (and far-fetched, at the time) idea that the United States could become a cultural, social and politically indivisible nation -- holding true to the idea of equal justice and liberty for all? Because if that's what he meant, poor Mr. Bellamy would have a real "SMH" moment.

Our country is probably as divisible as it has ever been -- and our current brand of politics is only perpetuating it. Yes, we've had a horrendous past as a nation. The institution of slavery? The near genocide of an entire culture? The dramatic decline of an entire economy due to inflation and greed which resulted in the socio-economic destruction of millions? Oh, we've messed up bad. The history books prove it. As much as we decry those things which divide us, division has, in essence, become the lifeblood of this nation. We've allowed it to define us and serve as a counterbalance to the "United" word that stands at the beginning of our country's name. We see division in places where division isn't warranted. In our skin color, in the way our towns and cities are organized, even in the way we treat one another. 

While cultural and political differences are inescapable truths that cannot be satisfied, it doesn't mean that those differences should invoke division. Like a combination of notes, each with their own unique (different) sound, I believe that our path to becoming a multi-part harmony is laid out before us. However, it is our duty as citizens of a united nation to forego any element which may cause us to further divide. We should be a model for an free and democratic republic to the world, not a living example against it. 

##

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Election Woes: Is the Electoral College Necessary?

By Kael the Sapiocrat (AN OPINION) for Brandon I recently had a back and forth conversation via Twitter with an old college buddy of mine whom I have great respect for. Although I disagree with him on many things, he too is a fellow Sapiocrat and one I would spend hours debating with on issues of domestic and international affairs. I can't say I don't miss him since he left for graduate school, but technology has a way of keeping us close.  Okay, enough with the sappy stuff. Back to the point. See, our discussion revolved around the age-old argument concerning the usefulness of the Electoral College. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the institution, the Electoral College is the method by which the President of the United States is chosen. While not an actual college, the institution is comprised of 538 individuals (apportioned from each state and the District of Columbia dependent upon the number of Congressional members they are entitled to) who cast...

Shut the Freedom Up

By Kael the Sapiocrat A couple of days ago, while I was wasting time peering through my social media, I came across a simple and quite educational video which lasted a little more than a minute. "Oooohh, that's such big news," you may say. But when I tell you that if it is a video that prompts me to write an entire blog post about it, it must be something worth looking into. Especially for all of you sapiocrats out there.  The video focused on the topic of the freedom of speech. Yeah, it's probably the most overused and misinterpreted feature of the American experiment -- right up there with the right to bear arms and the separation of church and state.  Let's back this up. Cue Free Speech in the U.S.: Origins . The freedom of speech is an expressed freedom found in the first article of the United States Constitution where it reads: "...Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..." You read that right. Article I of t...

Welcome to The Sapiocracy

Reader, If you find yourself fortunate enough to have this blog gracing your monitor right now, then consider yourself among the wise. If you were recommended to this blog by a friend or just happened to have stumbled upon this web address, then I hope you're ready for an amazing adventure into the world of minds. Welcome, my friend, to The Sapiocracy -- where knowledge reigns.  The Sapiocracy is my online blog that is designed to speak to the masses and gather their viewpoints on political issues using data-driven discussions and embraces the sharing of knowledge among all who participate. Sapiocracy is a relatively new term that roughly means "rule of the wise or intelligent." It perfectly symbolizes my belief that nations should be governed by the wise and well-informed, so that the decisions we make are justified.  Here, I'll set the stage and you, as the reader, will perform the act. I want you to contribute your knowledge to our blog posts and become...