Skip to main content

Leave Hollywood in California (An Opinion)

By Kael the Sapiocrat

I watched brief highlights of the Golden Globe Awards this year (as I do every year), and there was nothing too out of the ordinary. Star studded celebrities, shiny trophies, red carpets and a host of paparazzi trying to "catch the moment" in an effort to make an honest buck. I even saw a few of my favorite celebrities gracing the audience. 

Oh what a time to be in Hollywood!


But something caught America's attention that night. Someone said something that created a ripple across the country -- in both entertainment, politics and everywhere else. Media powerhouse Oprah Winfrey gave a strong and powerful speech defending recently outspoken and sexual assault victims. With the grace that she always possesses, she struck a tone with her most circulated quote of the evening -- "a new day is on the horizon." Some media outlets and critics have even called her speech (dare I say it) "presidential" hinting at a possible 2020 run for the network owner. 

I'm concerned. Disturbed. Shook.

Let's review this. Oprah is an entertainment celebrity. The President of the United States (should be) a master statesman/stateswoman -- an individual who has been conditioned to withstand the storms of domestic and international policy and can be not only head of the government, but also head of state. Now what happens when we mix inexperienced celebrity with such a dignified and powerful office? We get this. (Okay, not all the time. I just needed a quick laugh.) 

The point is, people were ecstatic about a possible Winfrey 2020 campaign. My Facebook timeline flooded with pictures of the mogul saying "THIS is my president." I am here to tell you, I disagree. Oprah Winfrey should not run for President. Being a newly minted public administrator, arguing this kind of thing is close to my heart -- so just hear me out.

  1. Government is different. One of my favorite public management theorists, Paul Appleby, gave the simplest explanation in this title of one of his most famous essays. In essence, he posits that we expect everyone to play a role. But not all roles are for all people. "A good lawyer doesn't mean he will make a good judge" (1945). People elected our current president because they believed he was "good" at creating jobs and making money. When in reality, he did those things in the private sector -- unhinged from the defense of the public trust. He could fire people whenever he wanted. He could make unilateral business decisions whenever he wanted. The complications came when those citizens who are not knowledgeable in the affairs of public governance thought that he could bring that same attitude into the Presidency. They were wrong. Government is different because it requires you to have an already functioning perspective on what it means to be a servant of the public -- those who support you and those who oppose you. You must be selfless and unwavering in the defense of the public. You do not belong to yourself. You belong to the People. Although all public officials devote their lives to serving others, as far as the Presidency is concerned -- the country owns your ass.
  2. You need more than influence to lead. Oprah was touted on such a high platform because of her influence and her universally-known charisma. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some Oprah. She may even have what it takes to become a commander-in-chief. She's a  wonderful philanthropist, a game-changer, and has a beautifully gravitating presence. But she doesn't have everything. She has no public policy experience. She as no experience in serving the public trust. If anything, that is the ENTIRE scope of what it means to be President -- to be the nation's ultimate public servant. You have to ask yourself these key questions: 
    • When war is imminent, do I trust this person to make strategic decisions in an effort to protect the country?
    • When public unrest is abound, can I trust this person to be a uniter and push for legislation that will make our communities and cities safer?
    • When other nations see us, will they envision a strong and positive leader that they can relate to? Or will they see a threat and a hindrance they will undoubtedly shun?
    • Can I trust this person to choose a good and effective administration that will consist of professionals with stellar backgrounds in the areas they have been chosen to oversee?
  3. It must be a lifelong commitment. Once you're a public servant, you're always a public servant. At least that's what I believe. You may run for high office, win, do your time and head back to the private world. But something took place in your mind that you just can't let go of. You've been placed in a position where selflessness has now become the norm. You see the problems going on in the world and you know what to do to find a solution. You know the right people, have access to the right places, and can say just the right things. Tell me, can you think of a time when a former president became someone's employee afterwards? Yeah, I know they enjoy a lifetime salary, but they continue to commit themselves to public service years and years after they've kissed the Oval goodbye. It would be terribly difficult for me to imagine someone becoming the former commander-in-chief and abandoning their mission to be a lifelong servant of the nation. I just can't see it. 
Leave the celebrities in Hollywood. Oprah has the potential to make a fine president if she worked her way there through a state legislature, a governorship or Congress. She's even tempered, an excellent decision maker, and a positive role model. Reagan did it! I believe that should be the course a citizen should take to the White House. Not on popularity or wealth, but on proven accomplishments and a strong record of serving the public. 

If you can't produce that, then leave the White House to the public servants. This "establishment" thing that people are quick to demonize are actually the ones that know how to do their job. Fight me.


Sources: 
Appleby, P. H. (1945). Government is different. New York.


##

Comments

  1. Completely agree!!!! I love Oprah but we do not need anymore “stars” holding such a high elected office.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Election Woes: Is the Electoral College Necessary?

By Kael the Sapiocrat (AN OPINION) for Brandon I recently had a back and forth conversation via Twitter with an old college buddy of mine whom I have great respect for. Although I disagree with him on many things, he too is a fellow Sapiocrat and one I would spend hours debating with on issues of domestic and international affairs. I can't say I don't miss him since he left for graduate school, but technology has a way of keeping us close.  Okay, enough with the sappy stuff. Back to the point. See, our discussion revolved around the age-old argument concerning the usefulness of the Electoral College. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the institution, the Electoral College is the method by which the President of the United States is chosen. While not an actual college, the institution is comprised of 538 individuals (apportioned from each state and the District of Columbia dependent upon the number of Congressional members they are entitled to) who cast...

Shut the Freedom Up

By Kael the Sapiocrat A couple of days ago, while I was wasting time peering through my social media, I came across a simple and quite educational video which lasted a little more than a minute. "Oooohh, that's such big news," you may say. But when I tell you that if it is a video that prompts me to write an entire blog post about it, it must be something worth looking into. Especially for all of you sapiocrats out there.  The video focused on the topic of the freedom of speech. Yeah, it's probably the most overused and misinterpreted feature of the American experiment -- right up there with the right to bear arms and the separation of church and state.  Let's back this up. Cue Free Speech in the U.S.: Origins . The freedom of speech is an expressed freedom found in the first article of the United States Constitution where it reads: "...Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..." You read that right. Article I of t...

Welcome to The Sapiocracy

Reader, If you find yourself fortunate enough to have this blog gracing your monitor right now, then consider yourself among the wise. If you were recommended to this blog by a friend or just happened to have stumbled upon this web address, then I hope you're ready for an amazing adventure into the world of minds. Welcome, my friend, to The Sapiocracy -- where knowledge reigns.  The Sapiocracy is my online blog that is designed to speak to the masses and gather their viewpoints on political issues using data-driven discussions and embraces the sharing of knowledge among all who participate. Sapiocracy is a relatively new term that roughly means "rule of the wise or intelligent." It perfectly symbolizes my belief that nations should be governed by the wise and well-informed, so that the decisions we make are justified.  Here, I'll set the stage and you, as the reader, will perform the act. I want you to contribute your knowledge to our blog posts and become...