Skip to main content

America in Retrograde

By Kael the Sapiocrat

So this is what it feels like when a nation goes backwards... 

I sat at home one evening pondering over the current state of affairs in our country (as usual) and I asked myself the question that I'm sure is on the minds of most sane intellectuals: where did we go wrong? Just within the past few months, we have seen the rise of a neo-fascist style presidency, backed by a conservative Congress without a backbone, and the utter defeat of a party that wants nothing more than to uphold the standard of progress and innovation for our society. I sat back and began shaking even more as I watched the breaking news of Mr. Trump's plan to move the U.S. embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem -- knowing that the implications of such a decision would prove disastrous to American diplomacy and peace talks with an already hostile region. I thought the plan was to negotiate and compromise? Not advance and insult an entire religion. 
Lady Liberty weeps for her nation.

I also felt the pain caused by the Republicans' effort to overhaul the tax system with their version of tax reform. Clearly these people weren't around in the 80s. If they were, they would know that "trickle-down" economics does nothing for the average American. It will only line the pockets of big businesses and send our economy back to the dark ages. This takes the proverbial "rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer" to a whole new level. What makes this case so much more worse is that people who subscribe to these beliefs are afraid of taking a step back from their actions and weighing them against the scales of righteousness. They never ask themselves "how will this affect me?" or "how will this affect my neighbor?"

What baffles me is the unwillingness of conservatives to embrace progress. Maybe that's why they're called conservatives. What so wrong with people wanting to make their lives better? What's so wrong with making the rich pay taxes consistent with their income? What's so wrong with providing healthcare to millions of Americans that are uninsured? What's so wrong with making it affordable to go to college and so that young people like me can be successful and make the world a better place? What's so wrong with finding ways to keep our Earth clean and habitable for future generations? I dismiss the fiscal responsibility bull crap. That is no longer an argument. What's being done here does not showcase fiscal responsibility. It showcases the ubiquitous corrupt nature that truly exists inside of our political centers. They're doing this right in front of our faces! And some of us continue to support them because the other side wants to kill babies!?!?! When has supporting women's rights been only about abortions?

I am so ashamed of my country. I am ashamed to the point of grief. We are so much better than this. We are supposed to be the leaders of innovation -- the beacon of hope and freedom in the world. Now we have become a nuclear laughing stock with a leader that has blinded the eyes of millions as he uses them to exploit his agenda and Make America Fail Again. 

I try my best to stay non-partisan on this blog. But in this case, I have to take a side. As for me, I'm praying for a Democratic storm in 2018.

##

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Election Woes: Is the Electoral College Necessary?

By Kael the Sapiocrat (AN OPINION) for Brandon I recently had a back and forth conversation via Twitter with an old college buddy of mine whom I have great respect for. Although I disagree with him on many things, he too is a fellow Sapiocrat and one I would spend hours debating with on issues of domestic and international affairs. I can't say I don't miss him since he left for graduate school, but technology has a way of keeping us close.  Okay, enough with the sappy stuff. Back to the point. See, our discussion revolved around the age-old argument concerning the usefulness of the Electoral College. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the institution, the Electoral College is the method by which the President of the United States is chosen. While not an actual college, the institution is comprised of 538 individuals (apportioned from each state and the District of Columbia dependent upon the number of Congressional members they are entitled to) who cast...

Shut the Freedom Up

By Kael the Sapiocrat A couple of days ago, while I was wasting time peering through my social media, I came across a simple and quite educational video which lasted a little more than a minute. "Oooohh, that's such big news," you may say. But when I tell you that if it is a video that prompts me to write an entire blog post about it, it must be something worth looking into. Especially for all of you sapiocrats out there.  The video focused on the topic of the freedom of speech. Yeah, it's probably the most overused and misinterpreted feature of the American experiment -- right up there with the right to bear arms and the separation of church and state.  Let's back this up. Cue Free Speech in the U.S.: Origins . The freedom of speech is an expressed freedom found in the first article of the United States Constitution where it reads: "...Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..." You read that right. Article I of t...

Welcome to The Sapiocracy

Reader, If you find yourself fortunate enough to have this blog gracing your monitor right now, then consider yourself among the wise. If you were recommended to this blog by a friend or just happened to have stumbled upon this web address, then I hope you're ready for an amazing adventure into the world of minds. Welcome, my friend, to The Sapiocracy -- where knowledge reigns.  The Sapiocracy is my online blog that is designed to speak to the masses and gather their viewpoints on political issues using data-driven discussions and embraces the sharing of knowledge among all who participate. Sapiocracy is a relatively new term that roughly means "rule of the wise or intelligent." It perfectly symbolizes my belief that nations should be governed by the wise and well-informed, so that the decisions we make are justified.  Here, I'll set the stage and you, as the reader, will perform the act. I want you to contribute your knowledge to our blog posts and become...