Skip to main content

London Bridge is...Shaking?

By Kael the Sapiocrat


As if the waters across the pond weren't troubled enough.

On April 18, British Prime Minister Theresa May made an unexpected move which is sure to make the European drama even more interesting. In an effort to solidify the authority of the Tories in Parliament during the country's exit from the European Union, the Prime Minister called for a general election to take place in a little less than 50 days -- a far cry from the scheduled 2020 elections that was expected by the Fixed-Terms Parliament Act of 2011. Her argument? This would legitimize their authority on the Brexit process and reaffirm to the government that the will of the People remains clear on the issue. Sounds like just another fine example of the democratic process, right?

Yes and no.

In principle, this is a completely democratic move. Deferring the establishment of legitimacy to the People and seeking support from the public during this time of transformative change is the very definition of democracy. If any free nation on earth should know the importance of legitimizing leaders to make such crucial decisions. Anyone that is familiar with the art of statecraft would see the underlying purpose and benefits supporting the Prime Minister's call for another general election. However, they would also do well to see the drawbacks that this would incur.

(Photo: Metro.co.uk)
Conservatives may lose seats in Parliament. The 2015 general election gave the Conservative Party a 52-seat majority in Parliament, thereby winning Her Majesty's permission for the party to set up a government. Since that election, however, Europe has undergone a series of nationalist movements sparked by international contingencies including immigration reform and economic development. These movements, particularly in the United Kingdom, have provided a platform for other parties (such as the UKIP, Green and Liberal Democrats) to solicit strong support from the public to remain a part of the European Union. If Conservatives use the last two years as a platform for their efforts going forward into the election, it is possible that we could see some shift in power -- however large or small it may be.

This adds fuel to the SNP's campaign to leave the United Kingdom. The Scottish National Party has virtually solidified their grip on power in Edinburgh. While simple rumors of British withdrawal from the EU, Scotland's government made it perfectly clear that it did not support the measure and that it will remain a part of the Union -- even if that meant re-initiating another attempt at an independence referendum that failed in 2014.

Whatever happens in June, I believe that the United Kingdom is headed for the most dramatic change in social and economic spheres in generations. There isn't much to speculate then what has been speculated and proven already. But I can guarantee to you that I -- along with millions in other nations -- will be keeping an eye on this election with a magnifying glass.

##

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Election Woes: Is the Electoral College Necessary?

By Kael the Sapiocrat (AN OPINION) for Brandon I recently had a back and forth conversation via Twitter with an old college buddy of mine whom I have great respect for. Although I disagree with him on many things, he too is a fellow Sapiocrat and one I would spend hours debating with on issues of domestic and international affairs. I can't say I don't miss him since he left for graduate school, but technology has a way of keeping us close.  Okay, enough with the sappy stuff. Back to the point. See, our discussion revolved around the age-old argument concerning the usefulness of the Electoral College. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the institution, the Electoral College is the method by which the President of the United States is chosen. While not an actual college, the institution is comprised of 538 individuals (apportioned from each state and the District of Columbia dependent upon the number of Congressional members they are entitled to) who cast...

Shut the Freedom Up

By Kael the Sapiocrat A couple of days ago, while I was wasting time peering through my social media, I came across a simple and quite educational video which lasted a little more than a minute. "Oooohh, that's such big news," you may say. But when I tell you that if it is a video that prompts me to write an entire blog post about it, it must be something worth looking into. Especially for all of you sapiocrats out there.  The video focused on the topic of the freedom of speech. Yeah, it's probably the most overused and misinterpreted feature of the American experiment -- right up there with the right to bear arms and the separation of church and state.  Let's back this up. Cue Free Speech in the U.S.: Origins . The freedom of speech is an expressed freedom found in the first article of the United States Constitution where it reads: "...Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..." You read that right. Article I of t...

Welcome to The Sapiocracy

Reader, If you find yourself fortunate enough to have this blog gracing your monitor right now, then consider yourself among the wise. If you were recommended to this blog by a friend or just happened to have stumbled upon this web address, then I hope you're ready for an amazing adventure into the world of minds. Welcome, my friend, to The Sapiocracy -- where knowledge reigns.  The Sapiocracy is my online blog that is designed to speak to the masses and gather their viewpoints on political issues using data-driven discussions and embraces the sharing of knowledge among all who participate. Sapiocracy is a relatively new term that roughly means "rule of the wise or intelligent." It perfectly symbolizes my belief that nations should be governed by the wise and well-informed, so that the decisions we make are justified.  Here, I'll set the stage and you, as the reader, will perform the act. I want you to contribute your knowledge to our blog posts and become...